Go to bottom

kkrunchy + resources

category: code [glöplog]
Hello community,

When I use kkrunchy to compress my intro (32 ko), I encounter a problem
with the config panel that appears before the intro. My code handles the failure
of the creation of the dialog box and displays the related message.

I use VS 2012 with platform toolset v110. The dialog box is described by a .rc file.
My command line is:

kkrunchy_k7.exe --best "intro.exe" --refsize 32 --out BB_-_intro.exe

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for any answer,
added on the 2017-12-09 14:17:40 by azerty69 azerty69
Code, or it didn't happen ;) . https://stackoverflow.com/help/how-to-ask
added on the 2017-12-09 23:51:26 by cxw cxw
Last time I checked, kkrunchy doesn't work well with certain things.

Use Bero's packer instead.
added on the 2017-12-10 09:36:33 by mudlord mudlord
Here's what I do:
Code:INT WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, INT nCmdShow ) { hInstance = GetModuleHandle(NULL); // kkrunchy-proofing
added on the 2017-12-10 12:17:49 by Gargaj Gargaj
Last time I checked, kkrunchy doesn't work well with certain things.

Use Bero's packer instead.

Which got a new update this year (which however I have uploaded to my site only this month) and can be found at http://www.rosseaux.net/page40_BeRoEXEPacker.html.

It is important, that you do use the +64k parameter then, for to enable the special 64k EXE packer mode of BeRoEXEPacker, because otherwise BeRoEXEPacker operates in the general purpose EXE packer mode, since BeRoEXEPacker is a hybrid EXE packer, a special purpose for 64k intros & 32k executable music and a general purpose at the same time.

At least, in the special purpose EXE packer mode with the +64k parameter, BeRoEXEPacker (in the new version of this year) beats kkrunchy often by being from one to four kilobytes smaller than with kkrunchy.

This is because, in contrast to kkrunchy, BeRoEXEPacker now has more optimizations in the meanwhile, i.e. a bit smaller stub, a bit more size-optimized PE header stuff, two enhanced x86 pre-filter variants than only one (which both are tried out bruteforce-wise, see https://github.com/BeRo1985/sasm/blob/master/examples/x86filter1.asm which is a variant of me, and https://github.com/BeRo1985/sasm/blob/master/examples/x86filter2.asm which is the variant, which kkrunchy is also using, but attention, the ASM files contains also JavaScript code :-) ), and so on. It are indeed only small optimizations, but which however can often add up to four kilobytes of extra savings.
added on the 2017-12-12 07:37:17 by BeRo BeRo
Nice to see some progress on 64k packers!

Unfortunately, kkrunchy still works better for my intro.
With "kkrunchy_023a4_asm07.exe": 65392 bytes
With "bep.exe +64K": 65629 bytes

I'm happy to provide the binary if you want to take a look.
added on the 2017-12-16 17:19:51 by LLB LLB


Go to top