pouët.net

Go to bottom

Announcing The Meteoriks - A new demoscene award

category: general [glöplog]
@sensenstahl : yeah kind of "I [do] pay attention". I have to, nobody else does it seems.

@ruairi [rc55] : good one, I LoLed

@maali "and next year's meteorik for best whining in 2015!" : I don't think asking for a status update about keeping one word after 2 months is whining. Whining would be asking for something not promised before contest being held imho. I keep my word in my life and I expect others to do so too. Elsewise it would hint the "Baudserver" typo was done on purpose and is basically a form of childlish German sarcasm (and I can't believe that). Aside from that troll all you want.

@ xTr1m "Not only the award for best whining, but also for the most persistent self-ceunrevealed juror wlebration!" : same thing as above, except nobody submitted anything to that award contrary to what was stated on their site so you can't accuse us of self-celebrating. Basically after losing by a single vote from unreleased juror, we sofa-scened to see we lost, and funny typos making fun, and 2 months afterwards the html hasn't been modified to state 2 words in html "honorable mention", despite Urs having assured me by email they would do it. So if not accepting this award ceremony seems more and more like a masquerade to slander some and forcing some national supremacy, hurts your feelings, you have no self-pride dude.

@Saga musix and @Korkiovosken : omoAlien: No, "honorable mention" basically means "this could have been the winner as well, but we decided for the other prod". That is not correct they did mention not all categories had "honorable mention" : "Out of these nominations, a winner and possible honorable mentions will be picked.". To my knowledge they were maybe only two of them but I'd have to watch YouTube again. Maybe it happens when the difference of a single vote decided about winners/losers.
Quote:
That is not correct they did mention not all categories had "honorable mention"

Dude, I know how we picked our honorable mentions. It very much means that we were divided between giving one or another prod the winning position, more than one prod would have deserved to win the category but since there's only one winner, the other prod(s) would become "honorable mentions". It's not about the difference of a single vote, since the teams didn't rank prods by a score.
Coincidentally, "ceunrevealed juror wlebration" is the title of my new technical death metal album.
added on the 2015-05-31 23:00:19 by Gargaj Gargaj
@saga_music : thank you for your response but my initial message was more addressed to the main organizers than jurors (I see anecdotallyyou are listed as High End Soundtrack juror, and the Tiny Intro jurors list is still last one linky missing) to be frank (this is their thread after all) :
MAIN ORGANIZER
Reza 'D.Fox' Esmaili
PROJECT LEAD
Peter 'Franky' Smets
COMMUNICATION
T-101
HEAD OF JURY
Urs 'urs' Ganse


Quote:
the other prod(s) would become "honorable mentions"
I don't think that is correct, at least this is not how I remembered it when I watched it live on stream. It did seem majority of categories had no "honorable mention" : rewatch the YouTube of the event maybe to be certain. It does seem it was as stated on their homepage that " Out of these nominations, a winner and possible honorable mentions will be picked." And only a few were voiced when one does take the time to watch the event carefully in full.
Quote:
It's not about the difference of a single vote, since the teams didn't rank prods by a score.
I won't discuss vote legitimacy since that would be foolish and I even liked the winner, but wether you call it a score or a vote, the difference out of 5 people was a single person (at least from what was reported). Hence why I stated above that "honorable mention" was only stated for very close calls, not all prods. The Meteoriks organizers stated the same thing on their site even before the voting by using the adjective "possible" (ie : not obligatory).

Again, this is just addressed to organizing team because they said they would do it, it is not a rant or anything for others to "jump in" :
Quote:
Baudsurfer: we're working on all of those tasks :)
added on the 2015-04-12 16:40:47 by D.Fox D.Fox

Quote:
"Tastatur und Maus e.V." <ag@tastatur-und-maus.net> wrote April 28th 2015 :
> Hey there,
> your production „Abductee“ was a nominee for The Meteoriks 2015.
> As stated during the award show we would like to send you a certificate.
> Could you please provide us with an address?
> Thanks in advance!
> Greetings,
> Madame

Quote:
> Urs Ganse <urs@nerd2nerd.org> wrote April 7th 2015
> The budget for the awards this year unfortunately only allowed us to
> create statues for the winners (and they are quite small themselves).
> However, there are certificates for all nominees and the honourable
> mentions. I'll make sure you get yours sent to you right away!

Lastly this is what responsible adults do : they keep their word (children do not do that and a lot of adults remain children). It's not whining sinc at any point during last 2 months, some organizer had said "no we won't hold our promise" I would not still be bumping this thread for sure and forgotten about it thinking "Oh well, let it be that's life".

@Gargaj : ahaha ;) Yeah sorry about that, believe it or not I have a cheap rigged (rootkited) laptop courtesy of CompuSafe with a broken keylogger (not Sony BMG) that sends Home key ascii make code all too often and I pasted wrongly after it randomly did that once more. I take note I ought to proofread myself more often ;)
Relax dude, please. Nobody wants to harm you, or is playing any evil games here. See people have lives, (paid) jobs, personal issues etc. Some things take time. Your certificate will eventually come to you - it's not that it starts to rot or sth.
added on the 2015-05-31 23:48:33 by v3nom v3nom
@v3nom :) np nobody said anything about harm and I think I am pretty relaxed considering still politely exchanging/hoping to ask for 2 words be added on an html page after two months after event and by the main page's own directives. On the other side I care less about the printout signed "Penis" really since it's disrespectful in my book (probably a cultural 'beer' difference there too). You say something you do it, or you just state you won't do it in the end after the event and everybody gets on with their lives.BTW I am also single father with paid job and don't need your patronizing.

The point is we didn't submit anything because all those German awards, wether it be Meteoriks, Demoklubi or DUB, bear the same Eurovision vote syndrome in the first place. So I don't accept the half laugh at my expense on the big-screen when nobody wanted to take part of this joke in the first place. Act as grow-ups, be responsible and do what you said you would do without cornering others to remind you of your engagements and stop wasting our at-least-just-as-much-as-your valuable time.
Baudsurfer: It would be nice if you'd stop to apply pressure publicly - it won't help the process anyway and you're making an ass out of yourself.

We'll hold our promise - we're working on those things. As for the certificates, we're still waiting for other nominees to send us their data. It's not efficient to prepare letters and go to the post office for every single return address that we get. First batch went out this week btw.

The website will be updated once there's time and we have received some missing data as well.

In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy this free service.
added on the 2015-06-01 00:08:56 by D.Fox D.Fox
Wow someone woke up ^5

Quote:
and you're making an ass out of yourself.
was not really necessary.

It just shows to me the lack of respect you have for other people's work or some people in general (notably the ones that do not fit your perfect idealistic Happy Tree Friends collective). To organize and be credible for an award you need to respect all, not just the ones you think are cool and not making an ass of [themselves]. As usual, responding with insults just says more about you than it says about me.

Keep your stuff really.
aaaaand problem solved!
added on the 2015-06-01 00:20:22 by Maali Maali
Indeed Maali. Now let's move on, shall we ?
Just to point it out - I'm trying to do you a favour here by notifying you that your behaviour might be damaging to your image (if you care about that stuff). I didn't insult you in any way. It's a simple observation, really. It's you who does the insulting.

If you yourself had any respect for the work of others you could have tried to ask how it's going or if, as others did, ask you can help somehow. Instead of that, you just assume that we don't give a shit and don't hold our promises.

Also, pouet is not our primary communication platform. If you read the website you'll find email addresses and other contact possibilities where you can reach us and voice your concerns.

Rereading what you wrote in your last posts, I'm not sure I'm the one with the respect problem here.
added on the 2015-06-01 00:27:06 by D.Fox D.Fox
Quote:
I don't think that is correct, at least this is not how I remembered it when I watched it live on stream. It did seem majority of categories had no "honorable mention" :

How does that contradict anything I said? If a jury thought that the category doesn't require a honorable mention, then they didn't pick one. In the high-end soundtrack category, we for example only decided to have a honorable mention since we had two really good, very different winner candidates, and since we could pick only one winner we decided to choose a honorable mention. If other categories had clearer outcomes, they didn't require a honorable mention.
I don't assume, these are facts :

-you state only submitted entries compete, we submit nothing and you pick out some random prod of us this year (not the most popular one but the fourth most popular one) ;
-you spell my name wrong on the screen without stating my group name. ;
-you put music on noiseless competitive prods ;
-you state you will have "honorable mention", the jury gives us one, and then you have 2 months to change an html page and you don't do it (patronizing me with the fact you have "paid" jobs while responding) - all this despite 3 emails and this thread ;
-you state you'll send some paper with written "Penis" on it and I gave you my snail mail 3 times already (on irc, and 2 ppl in email : Urs and Madame) - and you send nothing ;
-and to top it all, you respond with insults encouraging the trolls.

CLap ! Clap ! Way to go Mr. Honesty.
I'm confused on whether you were okay with your work being included in the award category or not. You seem to demand the perks that come with it, but at the same time you have open contempt towards it.
added on the 2015-06-01 00:50:16 by Gargaj Gargaj
when in doubt, generate more drama!!!
added on the 2015-06-01 01:01:56 by psenough psenough
@Gargaj :
Quote:
I'm confused on whether you were okay with your work being included in the award category or not.


As stated above and for the German award part, I declined to participate so I was not OK obviously. I think the day before the award (because I check my emails every 2 or 3 days) they did send some email asking for permission on "Abductee" (our 4th most popular pouet Tiny Prod that year), but alas I only saw it day after the event feed. Even there I don't think I would have changed my mind (again for personal point of view only).

Personally I see myself solely as a competitor (everyone has the right to his own views still I presume). In that regard, I accept the result of a competition when we enter it : and I do respect the placings when confronted with no choice with forced participation of randomly-picked release.

I would have liked that diploma for my daughter because it would have impressed her : after seeing a picture of someone else's certificate signed in big bold letters "P-e-n-i-s" I am understandably less inclined to want to share that with her anymore.
But I remained genuinely happy about the "honorable mention" idea they came up with and I would still have appreciated them adding it on website just under the category winner, as their mainpage stated they would do. It would have made it up more or less for the "Baudserver/groupless" German laugh at Revision they pulled. But I guess even that is too much to ask for since all they do is insult.
Quote:
I don't assume, these are facts :
-you put music on noiseless competitive prods ;


The award show was for a mature technical audience, who I expect to know teh limits of sizecoded entries. I added the audio, as explained earlier, to make the show more worthwhile. I think by doing so I emphasized, both with sound and visual text, the fact that your entry was the only one who contained sound. I thought that was pretty impressive.

You can watch that part again if you want to :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsk2JlWm3E
added on the 2015-06-01 01:07:46 by numtek numtek
... and to be fair, firing ONE SINGLE MIDI NOTE to a midi controller - is not exactly impressive. Sequencing a whole deep house track, synced to visual effects is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Kh-5m_TCA Congrats for fitting the single note in, anyway ;)
added on the 2015-06-01 01:13:31 by HellMood HellMood
oh yes, and as a nominee : i'm glad that "Autumn" was noticed. Send my certificate anytime you want, i am in no hurry. thanks =)
added on the 2015-06-01 01:14:43 by HellMood HellMood
HellMood, shamelessly downing other people's work again (easy - not difficult, except for your own stuff) ? Or just jealous you didn't win at Outline or didn't get an "honorable mention" at Meteoriks ? Quick ! Quick ! Log on with your fake accounts and anonymously thumb down some more :D
Quote:
I would have liked that diploma for my daughter because it would have impressed her : after seeing a picture of someone else's certificate signed in big bold letters "P-e-n-i-s" I am understandably less inclined to want to share that with her anymore.

My understanding that the only diploma that said "penis" was Public's Choice(?) for Mercury - with Urs being the coder of that particular demo, signing the diploma as "head of jury" would've been awkward.
added on the 2015-06-01 01:22:22 by Gargaj Gargaj
@Gargaj, ok. You have more insight on the origin of "Penis" signature than me. Thank you for informing me. Nice story.
Quote:
Public's Choice(?)

I know there was no "Public Choice" in Tiny Prod category though : five volunteers voted. It still would have all been half-ok for a firstee I presume if they had followed through with the stuff they said they would do.
Code:mov dx,331h mov al,0x3f out dx,al dec dx mov al,90h out dx,al ; instrument number (0-127) mov al, 40 out dx,al ; volume (0-127) mov al, 90 out dx,al


16 Bytes for a one note, and a wide selection of instruments to chose from. And the easyness has been shown as early as 2013 already.

Stop acting like it's hard ;)
added on the 2015-06-01 01:31:16 by HellMood HellMood
Sorry have to wake up in 5 hours. Let the "(UNpaid) jobs [(c) V3nom]" trolls roll in. As far as I a m concerned Maali said it best "aaaaand problem solved!". Only remains awaiting jealous HellMood's anonymous downthumbs in next days. So much for so little.
Whatever HellMood, you're the greatest, carry on ...

login

Go to top