pouët.net

Go to bottom

Two deadly enemies of the Amiga: Atari and Commodore

category: general [glöplog]
Well, it pisses me off.
added on the 2014-09-23 21:49:39 by Foebane72 Foebane72
my moneys on it being conspicuous consumption aspect, maybe your boss or something has an apple fetish? ;)
added on the 2014-09-23 21:57:10 by Canopy Canopy
What made Amiga cool in the 80s was a custom design that couldn't survive the inevitable comoditisation of computer parts, regardless of how the company was managed. If it was alive today it would be an x86 pc with an alternative operating system no less bloated than Windows or Linux, just like Mac is.
added on the 2014-09-23 22:07:06 by absence absence
Quote:
What's the point of an iPad when laptops, which are better, have been around for many years?


You must be a Linux user.
added on the 2014-09-23 22:16:04 by Preacher Preacher
Or Windows. You know, the ones who actually use computers for work ;)
added on the 2014-09-23 22:20:38 by Gargaj Gargaj
There are Android tablets.

And tbh, I have done a stupid amount of work on my phone (I don't have a tablet, I prefer something that will fit in my pocket, as I'll need bifocals eventually anyway).
added on the 2014-09-23 22:22:02 by metoikos metoikos
Amiga will never die!*

*insert 'zealotry' into that sentence.
added on the 2014-09-23 22:37:10 by psonice psonice
Quote:
What made Amiga cool in the 80s was a custom design that couldn't survive the inevitable comoditisation of computer parts, regardless of how the company was managed. If it was alive today it would be an x86 pc with an alternative operating system no less bloated than Windows or Linux, just like Mac is.


Good point. I do know that this non-standardisation between home computers of the 1980s was self-defeating, but I have to ask one thing:

If a Mac is just like a PC in hardware (especially since Apple moved to Intel-based CPUs) then is it only the operating system that makes it stand out? If not just that, what else? I would think the quality of hardware builds and the custom keyboard and mouse.

I would also like to know if Mac OS X can run on a PC with no changes?
added on the 2014-09-23 23:55:33 by Foebane72 Foebane72
>I would also like to know if Mac OS X can run on a PC with no changes?

have you considered using a search engine to find out ? I hear they are pretty god and finding information based on keywords and stuff.
added on the 2014-09-23 23:59:45 by spiny spiny
MacBooks are the best laptops out there quality wise and Mac OS is good and cool and will not run on a PC out of the box, but you can make a hackintosh quite easily I think, but why would you want that.

And I know plenty of dudes running windows on their MacBooks.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:01:28 by okkie okkie
Quote:
If a Mac is just like a PC in hardware (especially since Apple moved to Intel-based CPUs)


Yes

Quote:
then is it only the operating system that makes it stand out?


If you are only looking at the user-experience from the software-side, yes.

Quote:
If not just that, what else? I would think the quality of hardware builds and the custom keyboard and mouse.


That too. Especially their notebooks are quite nice, with excellent screens, good battery life, and quite slim and lightweight for their specs.
Even if you're just planning to run Windows, the hardware is nice, if you are willing to pay the price.

Quote:
I would also like to know if Mac OS X can run on a PC with no changes?


More or less. Search for 'Hackintosh'. There are various projects that enable OS X to run on select PC hardware.
The main difference is in the BIOS/UEFI code, so you need a 'shim' to make your PC boot OS X.
So there's some minor modifications to the boot-sequence and possibly also some nonstandard device-drivers. But once OS X is booted on your PC, it behaves 100% like a real Mac.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:04:25 by Scali Scali
Then Apple's popularity is simply down to the HQ builds, the operating system and most importantly, the brand?

So basically, because the Amiga was designed with the mindset of the 1980s home computer designers and that it was NOT an IBM, then it was doomed to die no matter what?

It bugs me because the Amiga had a lot of the "creative" software that now graces the Apple, compared to the PC. But then again, I'd rather remain a Windows PC user, because I like to tinker with programs and so forth. I've never considered Linux, even though I hear that it's closer to Workbench than Windows ever will be - but then I was never that keen on Workbench.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:19:12 by Foebane72 Foebane72
Quote:
What's the point of an iPad when laptops, which are better, have been around for many years?


I can give you two use cases for my iPad at home:
- If it's in the kitchen it serves for comfortable receipt lookup using a web browser... carry a laptop around and type with greasy fingers on your keyboard/touchpad... nothing beats a quick glass clensing of the iPad after the cooking is done :)
- My 2 year old toddler and 4 year old kid have much fun playing games on the iPad, without ever having to learn that: if you move that big heavy round thing that daddy calls a mouse, it'll move that tiny white thing called a pointer on that other big thing which daddy calls a monitor, and then if you press that one area that makes a funny noise on that big round thing that daddy calls a mouse button, then suddenly something will happen at that other big thing, just around that tiny white thing. Screw that, toddlers don't need to learn how to use a mouse. And they can't even read, so a keyboard is also a no-go.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:27:31 by xTr1m xTr1m
Quote:
It bugs me because the Amiga had a lot of the "creative" software that now graces the Apple, compared to the PC.


Are you saying there's a lot of creative software for Mac that isn't available for Windows? Do you have examples?

Quote:
I've never considered Linux, even though I hear that it's closer to Workbench than Windows ever will be - but then I was never that keen on Workbench.


In my opinion Linux desktop environments are not closer to Workbench in any way.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:27:55 by absence absence
Quote:
Are you saying there's a lot of creative software for Mac that isn't available for Windows? Do you have examples?


Creative industries use macs because they don't want their piece of shit os to crash every other second (I'm looking at you windows!!)
added on the 2014-09-24 00:31:22 by okkie okkie
Quote:
Are you saying there's a lot of creative software for Mac that isn't available for Windows? Do you have examples?


Just an assumption. So why use a Mac? Windows 7 is really stable, never had a problem with it.

Quote:
In my opinion Linux desktop environments are not closer to Workbench in any way.


I see. So really, only cheapskates use it? Buy Windows, for God's sake!!
added on the 2014-09-24 00:38:25 by Foebane72 Foebane72
Quote:
Creative industries use macs because they don't want their piece of shit os to crash every other second (I'm looking at you windows!!)


No software is immune from crashes, and frankly, I haven't had a problem with Windows crashes since XP, and I've used Windows since around 3.1. I fail to see the problem with it.
added on the 2014-09-24 00:40:39 by Foebane72 Foebane72
Quote:
by Foebane72:
Quote:
Are you saying there's a lot of creative software for Mac that isn't available for Windows? Do you have examples?


Just an assumption. So why use a Mac? Windows 7 is really stable, never had a problem with it.

Quote:
In my opinion Linux desktop environments are not closer to Workbench in any way.


I see. So really, only cheapskates use it? Buy Windows, for God's sake!!
Ignoring for the moment that this is all flame bait, including okkie's comment, Linux has many useful features available to it in a general sense. You can run it headless more easily and people have spent quite a bit of time writing customizations to improve their productivity that may not be as easily done elsewhere or because it has been ported to various platforms/chipsets that other OSes have not. It being free just happens to be a nice bonus.

All that aside, what exactly did you think when you started this thread? Get a blog!
Quote:

I see. So really, only cheapskates use it? Buy Windows, for God's sake!!


Now go to the bathroom and wash your hands because the shit you wrote.

What Starchaser said.
added on the 2014-09-24 01:17:36 by evills evills
iPads and tablets all suck ass unless you have some kind of pointy and sharp wizard-fingers.
added on the 2014-09-24 04:52:20 by Serpent Serpent
*chewing popcorn*
added on the 2014-09-24 06:14:17 by g0blinish g0blinish
Quote:
Ignoring for the moment that this is all flame bait, including okkie's comment


Lol no, but w/e.
added on the 2014-09-24 08:18:29 by okkie okkie
Quote:
ltimately the PC's flexibility with micro-transactional (compated to TCO) upgrades killed having to buy a complete new system each time.


what a bull... my dad tried to talk me out of amiga 1200 cos a pc is sooo flexible, yeah right, I would have been stuck with a shitty 286 with shitty gfx and sound for years to come for the same price. in the meanwhile everyone is forced to buy new pc for "upgrade", because new generation cpu/gfx card etc, can not be put into old motherboards...

also I wonder If a 286 could ever surf the internet, with a gui multitask OS, like I did with my 1200, with a 030 card.
added on the 2014-09-24 08:51:52 by Oswald Oswald
Quote:
Especially their notebooks are quite nice, with excellent screens, good battery life, and quite slim and lightweight for their specs.
Even if you're just planning to run Windows, the hardware is nice, if you are willing to pay the price.


Apple notebooks are nice, but they are overpriced. You can buy the same cheaper without the apple sticker.
added on the 2014-09-24 08:54:33 by Oswald Oswald

login

Go to top